Don't Fear the Oil, Linseed, Turpentine....It's Just Oil Painting

 


Don't be afraid, it's just like finger painting. Somewhere the elites made painting some kind of secret society where only the best of the best need apply. Remember, the Impressionists who we consider masters were once out of the in-crowd.

Doing art is accessible, to anyone. I don't care if you're talented, see visions or just like to push paint around. Art is cathartic, enjoyable, relaxing and all the other praises I could give.

Even the artist can sometimes take the process a bit too seriously. Art is about creating, experimenting, playing. I believe everyone has some sort of hidden ability to create something that others will love to see but that's maybe just my opinion.

This post is about oils. I have heard many artists say oil can be intimidating. When did we get to the point where we were afraid of not being good at something immediately. The fact that oil takes so long to dry allows the painter to enjoy it's movement, to get to know its varying consistencies and how its colors change depending on how you apply them.

I recently did a post on my website about the underpainting and why it is important. This is a great place to start enjoy the many wonders of oil painting. Look at Bob Ross, he made painting fun. He didn't take himself or his art too seriously and that's why the people loved him.

I feel there is a place for everyone in the creative process, as I believe it is an integral part of the soul and needs to be feed.

So how do you start in oils without getting overwhelmed?

Buy just four oil tubes- White, Yellow, Blue and Red- this will give you the ability to create all colors and tints-it will also teach you what colors do and how they react to each other.

A pallete should be a place where you see colors and how they mix, thin and act when they are fresh from the tube.

Now, get a small canvas, try an underpainting, then overlap colors and experiment with how the oil moves and how it acts on a canvas. Just like the first time you started finger painting, no one told you to create something great, they just said have fun.

Art at its very best is a connection to a long lost friend- Your Inner Child-they're waiting for you to paint. Oh, get some odorless spirits and linseed oil-for now just see how all the paints and colors blend, overlap, complement and discord. Most of all, Have Fun.

Comments