Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Insignificant Moments: The Most Precious Gifts


An Introvert's Guide to Being Social:
No one I meet would say I'm an introvert or anti-social, still as others gather together and converse in the past I have been the one on the edge, to myself. I do really well one-on-one and I enjoy conversation that goes beyond weather, sports or daily trends.

I like to discuss politics, religion, ethics and philosophy and more important for me is to hear other's opinions on the subject. I am in the process of changing my process because at my age and lot in life, I find myself very much alone.

I've started becoming the Yes Man-a Jim Carrey movie that truly inspired me. I am eager to meet Zooey Deschanel but that's another story about singles and dating. I have recently begun to force myself into social interaction and the results have been quite wonderful.

Coffee and Sketch: This is actually two different instances but along the same idea. I recently went to get coffee and normally I would find a seat that faced the window, that allowed me the relief of space between myself and others.

I always chide the coffee shop crowd and the airplane people who stare at their phones and avoid contact with others. I am just as anti-social, it is a habit we don't even realize we do. So I am forcing myself out of my comfort zone.

I chose a seat facing everyone, right in the middle of the group and what I found is that suddenly you begin to naturally interact with others and it's not so awkward anymore.

Another coffee shop, I met  a group of sketching people and sketched with them. Again, normally I would find a seat off to the side but instead I was in the middle of it. The more I spoke and listened, the more comfortable I became.

This is Just Practice: When you go out and be social, you need to ask yourself what is the goal and I realize now I am looking to meet  my significant other but I am also looking to grow my circle of friends and acquaintances.

People need people, we are naturally social beings. I don't need an entorage but a group of close friends would be nice. Mine tend to scatter across the country and perhaps that's why I have avoided a new relationship.

So far, the meetups have been lacking in the amount of attendants but instead of being disappointed I realize every time I go and be social, it is just practice. It is not easy for a leapard to change it's spots but when he does, it feels pretty amazing.

Growth and Experience: I have had some amazing moments recently. On Sunday, I enjoyed a musical jam session by local musicians and it was one of wonderful special moments. I felt present and felt the feeling of Christmas spirit for the first time this season.

I drank coffee, enjoyed a meal, read about social media marketing and listened to local musicians. It was a moment which I never would have experienced if I wasn't out of my comfort zone.

A few nights ago I went to a meetup in Grapevine and after a great bit of conversation, I enjoyed a long walk through the Christmas capital of Texas and it was another great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment